Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Music as a healer

Dear Reverand, I've been living with HIV/AIds for more than 10 years and have invetigated many ways of keeping my spirits up and have on the whole succeeded very well. After all this time I have found nothing heals me more mentally than a quiet day listening to the music I love, in my case classical & opera. Three hours of Cecilia Bartoli singing Rossini arias or Jose Cura singing Puccini arias does more for my strength than a million words of counselling. There are so many therapies out there, why do we never hear of music therapy? It's so easy and anyone can do it!

Response from Rev. Pieters

I agree completely... music is a wonderful, healing experience. For many years, I have used music to lift my spirits, to calm me down, or to focus on healing my body. One of my favorite things to do on a free evening is to take a long, hot bath with Mozart playing.

For more on music and healing, please read my column, "The Hope of Music," (April 30, 1996), right here at The Body.

Faith vs. Medication
What are the benefits from massage?