Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Faith vs. Medication

Faith tells us to believe. Why then should I continue to take medication, when I am in essence delaying the ultimate -- death. Is not taking medication in conflict with "God's plan?"

Response from Rev. Pieters

NO! Taking medication is not in conflict with God's plan. Taking medication, according to my belief system, is very much in God's plan. Physicians and their treatments can be understood as vehicles of God's healing power. When I was taking an experimental chemotherapy, I believe that God was healing me, through a combination of medical treatment and my own self-care program. And the chemotherapy worked, and my lymphoma and Kaposi's Sarcoma have been in remission for over 11 years now. God gave me a miracle through medicine! Why wouldn't God do the same for you? There are some faiths which believe that using medication reflects a lack of faith in God's healing power. Christian Scientists, for example, believe in prayer for healing, and some Christian Scientists do not go to doctors or hospitals at all when they're facing a medical problem, because they believe that this goes against God's will. While I respect their freedom to believe as they do, I know that I am joined by a vast majority of people of faith who believe that God is giving us miracle after miracle in the continuing development of medical treatments for all kinds of conditions, including HIV. Many people of faith see the combination "cocktail" treatments for HIV as an answered prayer! You say that medication is "in essence delaying the ultimate -- death." Why wouldn't you want to delay death? I personally love life, and I believe in the sanctity of life. I believe that God's will is for us to live as long and as well as we can. If medication helps us to achieve that, then certainly that is within God's will!

Am I changing Gods plans for me?? Confused
Music as a healer