Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Faith vs. Medication
Nov 11, 1996

Faith tells us to believe. Why then should I continue to take medication, when I am in essence delaying the ultimate -- death. Is not taking medication in conflict with "God's plan?"

Response from Rev. Pieters

NO! Taking medication is not in conflict with God's plan. Taking medication, according to my belief system, is very much in God's plan. Physicians and their treatments can be understood as vehicles of God's healing power. When I was taking an experimental chemotherapy, I believe that God was healing me, through a combination of medical treatment and my own self-care program. And the chemotherapy worked, and my lymphoma and Kaposi's Sarcoma have been in remission for over 11 years now. God gave me a miracle through medicine! Why wouldn't God do the same for you? There are some faiths which believe that using medication reflects a lack of faith in God's healing power. Christian Scientists, for example, believe in prayer for healing, and some Christian Scientists do not go to doctors or hospitals at all when they're facing a medical problem, because they believe that this goes against God's will. While I respect their freedom to believe as they do, I know that I am joined by a vast majority of people of faith who believe that God is giving us miracle after miracle in the continuing development of medical treatments for all kinds of conditions, including HIV. Many people of faith see the combination "cocktail" treatments for HIV as an answered prayer! You say that medication is "in essence delaying the ultimate -- death." Why wouldn't you want to delay death? I personally love life, and I believe in the sanctity of life. I believe that God's will is for us to live as long and as well as we can. If medication helps us to achieve that, then certainly that is within God's will!

Previous
Am I changing Gods plans for me?? Confused
Next
Music as a healer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.