Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

The stress of AIDS on families & Caregivers

I am a student at the University of Pittsburgh, doing research on the stress of the family or caregivers of AIDS patients. I am unable to find information on whether any studies are being conducted or have been conducted in the past. Any assistance on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you Michael Allebach.

Response from Rev. Pieters

I do not have any information on specific studies of the stress of family or caregivers of people living with AIDS. Check the Caregivers Forum here at The Body for more information. You might have some success doing a search on the Internet. I am certain that there have been numerous studies on this subject.

I can recommend two good books on the subject: "Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly" by Steven D. Dietz and M. Jane Parker Hicks, M.D., Tucson: Harbinger House, Inc., 1992; and "Families Re-Membered" by The Rev. Louis F. Kavar, Ph.D., Gaithersburg, MD: Chi Rho Press, 1993. Kavar also studied at the University of Pittsburgh, and I would venture to say you could find his books in your library.

Best of luck with your research!

Can you help me?
Parent's Rejection