Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

many, many thanks

I just wanted to thank you so much for this site. I am an academic counselor who has agreed to go with a student to get her HIV test results (she was raped 6 months ago). I had been feeling angry, afraid, and inadequate about this "responsibility," and the fact that she -- or anyone -- would have to worry about this at all. But your site gave me hope and peace, and I am most grateful. The student has been particularly interested in spiritual guidance, but most of the religious life staff at our college are unavailable (summer vacations and stuff). Now I know where to send her. Thanks for giving me your gift of faith, and for helping me to see this whole experience as a gift. I am under treatment for depression/OCD, and fear has been a big part of my life. Your words -- and reminding me of God's words -- have given me courage and strength to go on. Many thanks, and many blessings upon you -- KBW

Response from Rev. Pieters

Thank you for your generous compliments! I'm glad the site has helped you through this. And I hope you will guide your student to this site, if she should need spiritual help through this.

If fear has been a big issue for you, I hope you've read my column, "Fear and Faith," from January 31, 1996. Our faith gives us many tools for handling fear, a very natural response to dealing with HIV.

God bless you for supporting this student through this time, in spite of whatever fears you may have. I'm sure that God will bless you in many ways for facing this with her. Let us know how things go.

Peace to you both.

Gift of Friendship
Support for HIV positive friend