Spiritual Support and HIVSpiritual Support and HIV

Why do we have to believe in your god?

After reading the answer about faith and reading "His" word, I was confused.I believe God reveals himself and his will to me daily. All I do is pray his will be done inmy life..(not to be confused with my will).Through this process I allow Godto His thing and my life becomes sooo much easier. What is His will? I neverknow...I try to align my actions with,1)open mindedness 2)willingness 3)honesty...and for me thats a great start.I have a problem like many others from a troubled past with the Bible...Maybe one day my beliefs will change....who knows what God has in store for me.II am on the road to recovery from years of drugs, premiscious sex,and a no. of other un-Godly things. I use a 12 step program to help...along with prayer and a great support goup.....anyway I'm rampling....May God be with us all.Love Michael.

Response from Rev. Pieters

Michael, you certainly do not have to believe in "my" God. You are free to believe in God exactly the way you understand God and how you know God from your own experience. It sounds as if you are growing in your spirituality, and I commend you for that. Spirituality is an essential ingredient to recovery in any 12-step program. It is a spiritual program. And in the program, one is free to believe in a Higher Power of your own understanding. How we discern God's will is also very individual. Some people use the Bible for guidance. Others use their own conscience, as you do, while others depend on prayer and meditation. There is no right way or wrong way. I try to determine what course of action is creative and loving. I'm sorry you've had "a troubled past with the Bible." That is not all that uncommon in our culture. While there are ideas, stories, and theologies which are disconcerting to some people, the Bible still offers a great deal of wisdom and inspiration. In reading the Bible, it can help to remember the context and culture in which the Bible was written. May God bless you in your recovery, Michael!

Spiritual Perspective on Promiscuity
On not caring what others think