Invirase-Fortovase

Dear Doctor, I have been on medications since 1999, July - Invirase 600 mg three times daily, Combivir twice daily. My viral load is below 50 copies. Soon I am going to switch to Fortovase. How am I supposed to take Fortovase? Is to take Fortovase twice daily 8 capsules each time safe enough or the three times daily regimen of 6 capsules is better??? My doctor even suggests I continue taking Fortovase three times daily 600 mg!?! WHAT TO DO?

Thank you for being with us, Valeria

Response from Dr. Boyle

Taking Fortovase as 1200mg thrice daily, 1600mg twice daily or 1000mg twice daily with 100mg Norvir (ritonavir) are roughly equivalent in success rates. I would prefer to start you on one of the twice daily regimens for simplicity and ease of adherence. I would definitely not use Fortovase 600mg thrice daily as that dose is insufficient. If you start with the standard doses of Fortovase, you could consider doing therapeutic drug monitoring and if the levels are high consider decreasing the dose, but I would mot start with the lower dose as that may not be adequate to achieve viral suppression and may lead to the development of resistance.

Invirase/Fortovase+Norvir
Is is this possible?