What do you think?

I recently read in a journel a "wish list" if you will of what the ideal medication would be for HIV. The following were the critera set forth in the article; 95 or greater effeciveness(effectivness=undectable), increase of C4's to at least 350-500 with a coresponding increase in CD8's. Once daily dosage with low pill burdens,Forgiving in terms of missed or late dosage(with in limits reminder to all that no medication works well if its not taken with great regularity as perscribed by your physican!), Side effects reduced to min. in both qualitative and quanitave terms(very mild and occuring in say less than 10 of treated population), no food or dietary restrictions(taken with or with out meals), able to surpress even the most rigorus viral mutants(perhaps even preventing mutation all together), no long term toxity, and long lasting durability(highly highly unlikely need to worry about treatment failure due to the resiliant nature of the drugs.My question being, do you see such a drug on the horizon say over the next 5 to 10 years? Do you think that finding such a drug is mearly wishful thinking? I thnink personally this should serve maybe as a loose blue print if you will for what we are looking for in the dicovery of new medications to treat HIV/AIDS...so what do you think?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Thanks to the efforts of the pharmaceutical companies, we are making incredible progress in drug development. While the criteria you set forth are pretty hard to meet, I think we're getting very close and expect that we will be there or even further along in the next few years. The bottom line is that persons living with HIV should do everything they can to make sure they stay healthy now (for example, take your medications religiously, stop smoking, eat well, exercise, etc.) since treatment is going to get much more effective and much easier in the very near future and it would be a shame to miss out on it.

Fortovase twice daily
STI/SIT