|twice a day but when
Sep 2, 2001
Hi. I'm taking Combivir and Viramune twice a day. I've been on this successfully for 5 years. Initially, I took the meds in the morning and at bedtime but then I switched to every 12 hours (10 am/10 pm). Going back to my old schedule (e.g., 7 am/10 pm) would be easier). Do I need to take the meds as close to 12 hours apart as possible?
| Response from Dr. Boyle
Yes, you should try to take them as close to every 12 hours as you can. While Viramune (nevirapine) and Epivir (lamivudine) have some evidence to support once daily dosing, the way you are currently taking the doses (splitting them) and the fact that Retrovir (zidovudine, AZT) has a relatively short half-life, it is important that you stick to every 12 hours.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dark Bumps After Sensual Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Touching Skin Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Happy Ending Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Scrotum After Touching Blood Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Oral Ulcers After Oral Sex With No Protection What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.