viramune vs. sustiva

Dr. Boyle,

Do you think that the convenience of taking sustiva only once each day makes it a better option than viramune? I am worried about the potential side effects of sustiva (have heard from friends) but like the idea of once a day. Your thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Response from Dr. Boyle

Sustiva/Stocrin (efavirenz) taken once daily is a very potent antiretroviral and, in the vast majority of patients, the side effects (mostly dizziness, vivid dreams, insomnia and decreased concentration) are mild to moderate and last a few days to weeks at most. Many of my patients have had no problems with Sustiva and have been on it for years without any difficulty. I still have questions regarding the potency and toxicity (mainly rash and liver toxicity) of Viramune (nevirapine), so my first choice is generally Sustiva/Stocrin. You should discuss this in deatil with your doctor and get his take on which to use, including more details regarding potency, side effects and toxicites of the two drugs, and then make a decision. Good Luck!

Nelfinavir & Food
Pill fatigue from Fortovase