Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nelfinavir & Food
Jul 18, 2001

Dear Doctor

is it better to be exactly on time with Nelfinavir and take it on an empty stomach, or be late or early with it and take it with food as reccomended? If I'm gonna be late, just how late can I be? My other drugs are DDI, Zerit and Sustiva which I take like clockwork, I just have problems with Nelfinavir because of its food dependency. Thanks COB

Response from Dr. Boyle

Well, this is kind of "you're damned if you do and damned if you don't" kind of question. Nelfinavir levels are significantly increased by a meal (or some food) and so you should take it with a meal. On the other hand, since the half-life of nelfinavir is short and its troughs are extremely important (especially in some patients), being late with a dose is potentially harmful as well. Another point, which makes the significance of the timing of the nelfinavir dose a little less clear, is that you are on 3 other antiretrovirals which may control the virus effectively, even if you're a little late with the nelfinavir. Still, if possible having all of the drugs at their appropriate and effective levels is best. I'd suggest that you carry a candy bar or snack with you so that you can take the nelfinavir with some food and that you try to stick to taking it every 12 hours, if at all possible.

Previous
Meals & Meds
Next
viramune vs. sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.