How Long

I am on Sustiva/Combivir since Feb 01 No OI's, CD4 35 VL over 100,000 my last CD4 135 VL under 40 (April 30th). feeling great. (1) How long does it usually take for the CD4 counts to increase? I liked to get off the bactrim and the weekly Profalactic. You always here over use of antibiotics eventually become ineffective. (2) Are these in the same class?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Your CD4+ cell counts have risen significantly over the 3+ months you've been on therapy and should continue to rise over the coming months/years so long as viral suppression is maintained. The "weekly prophylactic" is probably Zithromax for MAC prophylaxis, and if so, given your current CD4+ count and viral load, you can probably stop that medication, but you should discuss it with your doctor before doing so. The Bactrim should be continued until your CD4+ count is greater than 200 cells/mm3 for 3-6 months. The antiretrovirals you are on are all reverse transcriptase inhibitors, but AZT and 3TC are nucleoside and the efavirenz is a non-nucleoside.

Combivir totally equivalent to AZT + 3TC?
Meds