Neuropathy

Dear Doctors, I am suffering from neuropathy, this has been going on for sometime now, but yet I have no reliefe. I have been Postive since Mar of 1983 and have been on AZT since about 1984, in the meantime I have done all the "D" drugs, and also Crixevan. Currently I am taking Retrovir 100 mg QID, Viramune (nevirapine) 200 mg BID, Epivir (3TC) BID, and I also take Neurontin for my neuropathy 1,600 mg QID and still much pain in my feet. Any suggestions as to what may be causing the neuropathy, and any suggestion that you might have to help that my physicians cannot think of at the moment? All and Any suggestions would be most appreciated, Thank You.

Response from Dr. Boyle

You must have gotten some of your dates wrong (did you mean 1993 and 1994?), but to respond to your question: Neuropathy is a difficult problem to treat. It can result from HIV, drugs, infections, vitamin deficiencies and other causes. It can also be mistaken for other conditions, such as disc disease. It is generally treated with analgesics (narcotics if necessary), elavil (which doesn't appear to help much), neurontin (gabapentin), Lamictal (lamotrigine), topical agents and other treatments. First, you should verify that you have peripheral neuropathy. This may require further evaluation or you may have already had all of his done. If there is any doubt, consider seeing a neurologist. Second, Consider a thorough evaluation for the neuropathy. Are you on any drugs that can cause it? Your current antiretrovirals are not associated with neuropathy, but are there other drugs you are on that may be? Your medication list should be carefully reviewed. Vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, and organ dysfunction (for example, thyroid, liver or kidney disease) can all cause or exacerbate neuropathy and these should be evaluated. Finally, the standard therapy for neuropathy is pain relief (with analgesics or narcotics, as needed), gabapentin or lamotrigine (since the former isn't working, consider trying the latter), topical analgesics, and vitamin supplementation (as needed). I hope this is helpful. Neuropathy is a very difficult condition to live with and getting adequate pain relief will certainly improve your quality of life.

Time of taking medication.. Very important?
timing of Meds