Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I Take A Rest
Apr 11, 2001

I have been on Epivir and Fortavase for 5 1/2 years and have always been undectable. CD4 hovers between 520 and 675. Have no severe sideffects except a small crix belly that hardly shows. I have missed 3 doses in my entire treatment. I am going overseas for a month and would like to give my body a rest. I am worried that complience will be a problem and rather then take irratic doses I would like to stop completely. I have read that if done correctly I could restart with no problem with resisitance. Also want to see how much different I might feel plus my body has to need a rest thanks

Response from Dr. Boyle

That is a curious regimen you are on and I am surprised at your long-term success with it. Your taking the medications religiously was obviously the key to your success. To answer youf question, so long as your T cells were never very low (say less than 200 cells/mm3) and you never had symptomatic HIV, I think you can safely discontinue the medications and "take a break", especially given your concerns with adherence on your upcoming trip. I would monitor your CD4 cell count and viral load carefully (every couple months) while you're off therapy. Give your doctor a call and discuss it with him/her so that they can arrange appropriate monitoring. Good Luck and have a good trip. BB

Previous
Medication question
Next
Re. Stopping Meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.