Viramune Dosing

My Dr. recently switched me from Sustiva to Viramune. The dosing I am on is 400mg (2-200mg) 1xday in the morning along with videx-EC and Ziagen. I have always seen the normal dosing of viramune as 200mg 2x a day. Is the once a day dosing now widely prescribed? I like the regimen since its 4 pills in the morning and 1 ziagen in the evening. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Several studies I have seen support once daily dosing of Viramune (nevirapine); however, it is not FDA-approved as a once daily drug and there are some studies (e.g., VIRGO I and II) that indicated that twice daily Viramune may be better. Since you're taking medications twice daily anyway, it might be best if you took the Viramune twice daily, but if you really prefer the once daily dosing that's likely to be OK too so long as you don't miss any doses.

Dr. Boyle
Taking Stocrin with Videx EC