Extended release AZT

I read on this site that Aztec, an "extended release" version of AZT had completed Phase III trials. I'm very interested in this drug because I would like to put together a once a day combo while avoiding the dreaded "d" drugs (d4t, DDI). The drug has been in development by Verex Labs since at least 1993, but never seems to make it to market. Do you have any knowledge of this?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Glaxo is working on evaluating whether Retrovir (AZT, zidovudine) can be given once daily, but this is still in the exploratory phase and should not be done in clinical situations at this point. I have not heard of an extended release AZT that is anywehere close to being marketed and I have not seen any studies presented to support its use. I do not share your feeling regarding the "D" drugs...I generally prefer not to combine them, but I think that in general they are well tolerated with limited toxicity or problems. When looking for a once daily regimen, these drugs, especially Videx (ddI, didanosine) form part of the backbone of most regimens that have been studied to date. I agree with your concerns regarding these drugs potential toxicity, but the must be balanced against their effectiveness and the fact that virtually all antiretrovirals ahve some toxicity and side effects associated with them. Good luck!

take Videx EC along with other pill?