For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

lescol or tricor advice

been on d4t,vericept,3tc, 5yrs chol 240 and tryg. 300-400 high. I get muscle pains with lipitor, zocor, and recalled baycol,. insurance will only pay for lescol or tricor. What would be your advice. the statins work fast and efficient but worry about muscle/liver /kidney damage

I would think that a trial of either Tricor or Lescol would be reasonable (just one for starters). Usually be 4-8 weeks you will see the maximal response. If your fasting LDL is high I would try Lescol . If the LDL isn't too bad and you want to focus on the triglycerices then I would try the Tricor. Minitoring for muscle/liver/kidney damage is done routinely in this setting. You could also consider switching your antiretrovirals to a regimen than may effect lipids less if that is an option (such as AZT + 3TC + abacavir or nevirapine). KH

HIV and Shingles
Please Clarify, Ongoing Problems Despite Antibody Neg