Eye Floaters

Dr. Henry,

I was reading a website which discussed signs & symptoms of HIV infection and one of the symptoms listed was eye floaters. I am very concerned because about 6 months after a risky encounter I began seeing floaters in both eyes. I went to an Opthamologist who said I had my eyes are healthy, and in turn said floaters just happen. There was no real explanation given to me. Can HIV cause eye floaters? Or is this only in individuals who have CD4 counts lower than 50? Please help! (I did take an HIV test and am awaiting the results - needless to say I am on edge.)

Floaters are actually not considered much of a clue about HIV. In the old days we saw more people with advanced disease and lots of eye disease. Floaters are common in the general population and generally would not be viewed as indicative of HIV infection. KH

Test at 1 year?
HIV and Shingles