Zanaflex

Thank you for this valuable site. My doctor recently prescribed Zanaflex (tizanidine)for pain in my feet. I plan to be tested for neuropathy in the near future, so that diagnosis has not yet been confirmed. Is Zanaflex a common medication for neuropathy? I have read of other meds to deal with this, but not Zanaflex. I've taken it only once at night and felt heavily sedated. For this reason, I hesitate to take it during the day (dosage is twice daily).

Response from Dr. Boyle

I am unaware of any data which supports the treatment of HIV neuropathy with Zanaflex (tizanidine), which is a muscle relaxant. There are other effective agents for neuropathy (e.g., Neurontin, Lamictal) and I would discuss these with your doctor.

Where are you located
Shingles or something else?