Neuropathy

Hello My doc put me on elavil(25mg) to treat my neuropathy.( I also switched off of Zerit about 2 months ago). He also told me about the "coasting" effect. I think I feel some benefit, but it is not great. I am more bothered by dry mouth, cracked lips and this overall lethargy - especailly in the morning. He has also told me that I will probably have to increase the does of the elavil in the future. Obviously, I am not pleased with this.

I see him in a week and plan to ask him to take me off of this. MY pharmacist says she sees alot of guys on neurontin. She reports that lots of guys tell here it really works.

Am I mssing something here? Is it a better approach than the elavil? Any bad side effects ? I wonder why my doc did this?? thanks

Neal

Amitryptiline (elavil)often is helpful in this setting but one has to be patient and often increase the dose. Neurontin is popular among many clinicians and seems to offer more relief than Elavil. However, the two agents have not really been compared against each other and Neurontin is hugely more expensive than Elavil. In my experience Neurontin is no cure-all but seems to work somewhat better than Elavil though I often give Elavil a chance for 3-6 months. KH

elavil and neurontin
Problem?