exercise

Hi, this may seem like a redundant question, butIm 42, on the cocktail, cd4 300, viral load undetectable. I play competitive squash- you know, where you beat the crap out of a little ball against a wall. Im on the court 5 days/week for about 1.5 hours/day, then I do some weights, but not a lot. Im having some of that fat stuff happening (shit happens). It seems like that fasha- Im not sure of the spelling- the connective tissue that joins skin to muscle- is going away and Im left with loose skin. I dont know if this is related to HIV/medication. My question has 2 parts: might I be playing squash too much and might this accelerate this fat thing? You people have no idea, but you are life savers.

Thanks,

Josh

Exercise would not be expected to play much of a role in lose of fat (which can make your skin seem looser). I would make sure your hormone levels are OK (ie testosterone) and look at your HIV regimen regarding its role in the fat loss. You should discuss with your HIV doc to see if there is evidence supporting a diagnosis of lipodystrophy. Aging, time with HIV, low HIV levels on treatment, good T-helper cell rebounds on treatment-all contribute to the problem. A number of clinical trials are under way examing the why and how to treat issues. For now-I would continue your exercise. KH

high MCV and MCH
elavil and neurontin