leg and back muscle pain

For several years (4-5) I have had leg pain that has worstened over time. I am now at the point I can only walk a short distance without my legs feeling so weak I can't walk. Within the last 6 months, this same pain has appeared in my back, primarily along the top of the shoulders. I constantly complain to the Dr's ( I have had 3 different Drs - supposedly well trained in HIV) and all I get is a prescription for vicodin. They tell me it is related to neuropathy. I know something is wrong and it is getting worse. I don't want to be able to not walk. What do I do? (T-cells 170, Viral load <400, I have been on all protease which have eventually failed and currently on a Sustiva cocktail, including Videx, Hivid) thank you

Well that sounds serious--I would recommend going to a good HIV neurologist to sort that out. Your HHIV regimen may be good from the HIV perspective but could be hell on your nerves-ddC and ddI together are generally not recommended. I would insist on seeing a good neurologist and strongly consider changing your background nuke drugs to ones that would be more user friendly to your peripheral nervous system if the drugs are the culprit. Some people have had good luck with high doses of vit B1, B2, B12, and Calcium and Mg in helping out (also neurontin) but on those drugs with what you describe I advise neurologic consultation and then change drugs if the HIV drugs are believed to be a major factor. Keith Henry, M.D.

Neuropathy--to Dr. Henry.
Neuropathy and Thrombosis in Right leg