Sustiva and Methadone

Since it is a well established fact that Sustiva lowers the blood levels of methadone, could you please tell me which long-acting narcotics will work with this drug?? I have severe neuropathy that was well controlled with methadone; but after switching to Sustiva we had to double the dose. I still get breakthrough neuropathy pain in the middle of the night. My doctor is not interested in taking me off of Sustiva as I am doing so well; she also is balking at raising the methadone any higher (I currently take 20mg twice a day). I would be agreeable to switch narcotics rather than to keep increasing the methadone, as it is obvious the Sustiva lowers the blood levels of methadone AND seems to shorten the half-life as well. Thank you.

Doug H.

DH,

you don't mention whether you are taking anything else for the neuropathy (such as Neurontin, Elavil, Ca, Mg, B6, etc). A good start for Rx of neuropathy is a self help book like Jon Kaiser's Healing HIV. I often work with a pain clinic utilizing alternative Rx (acupuncture, etc) as well as standard meds. If all of those routes have been explored and/or the decision is to stick with narcotic Rx then a trial of Fentyl patches (low dose 25-50 mcg) might be considered. In my experience the interaction of methadone with Sustiva is actually variable. Keith Henry, M.D.

Lower Extremities Weakness
Neuropathy--to Dr. Henry.