Bone loss??

Hello

My question is related to a accident I had last Sunday. I broke one of the bones in my left wrist. Also seems to be the same bone I broke 25 years ago. I was under the impression that a broken bone was stronger then normal bone. I have been on Crix/AZT/3TC, plus all the normal OI meds since Oct/97. On dx VL >800000 with T's at 50/12%. Currently VL <50 with T's at 250/27%. I have been reading news on bone lost and its relationship to HIV/AIDS. I questioned my GP and he has not seen this in his office yet. Should this something I should be looking further into?? I am back into the fracture clinic in a week, should I raise this issue with the doctor??

Many Thanks.... AJF

There have been reported of early osteopenia/osteoporosis (thinning of the bones which could lead to easier fractures) in the setting of HIV/AIDS and treatment. There is a tenuous link to protease inhibitors from the available data. I would ask your doc to get a DEXA bone scan to check for bone loss. Keith Henry, M.D.

Side Effects of hydroxyurea
thc/pot/Marinol and heart attack risk