Night Sweats

Dear Doctors

I have recently started (again)to experience drenching sweats at night which results in me having to get up two or three times to dry myself and change clothes. Have you any ideas as to why this happens and what I can to stop it. In the past these severe sweats have been associated with illness but at the moment I feel quite well. My CD4 count is 30 and the viral load 17,000. Many thanks in advance

That is a common scenario and in unsettling for sure. A search for occult infections (such as MAC and CMV) would be warranted with an eye exam and blood cultures. I often don't find much and believe the fever is due to an interaction between the virus and your body (producing chemicals such as cytokines that can result in fevers). Sometimes regular use of low dose aspirin or tylenol might calm things down for a while after the work up in underway. Trying to achieve full suppression of your HIV with a boost in your CD4 count should be considered if possible as well. Keith Henry, M.D.

Penis Shortening from Crixivan????!!!!????
Platelets, dry mouth and ddI?