Videx (DDI) and DRY EYES

Dear Doctor,

I'm on Videx (DDI) + Ziagen + 3TC since last april and over a month ago I started feeling my eyes very dry. I saw my ophthalmologist and he didn't seem very concerned about it and he even blamed on the weather (it is winter in South America at the moment). He prescribed me artificial tears and putting on my eyes a wet cold cotton in order to relax them . My concern is that it seems to be a possible side effect of Videx , a harmless one, but putting artificial tears isn't very comfortable. My question is: Will this dryness disappear in a near future ?

Any tips for it?

Thanks

FD

FD,

it would be hard for me to say if the Videx was the culprit or whether it could be related to the other HIV drugs or conditions. A sicca-like syndrome with dry eyes and mouth has been described in connection with HIV itself. Good hydration (lots of water) might help from the practical standpoint. If the Videx is the culprit and the dry eyes continue to be an annoyance then a switch to a different drug might be considered to see if the eyes improve (ie ddI to AZT or D4T)-assuming your past treatment history would allow that. Keith Henry, M.D.

Propecia and Cocktail Therapy
Amprenivir concerns mixed with AZT, d4T.....