Zerit, Epivir, Sustiva

Hello,I,ve been on zerit epivir and sustiva for 9 months.Before meds.VL(100,000)CD4(170)Now on meds.VL(-25)CD4(330)3 months ago i had severe pain in my upper abs.was treated for acid reflux however the doctors cannot seem to find out whats causing my swelling in my stomach-feet-hands i've also started having morning lose stools and sick to my stomach. My doctor sending me to a GI doctor,could it be the meds? If so which ones?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Your symptoms could be related to many things, but it is possible that the medications are responsible. The same diverse GI complaints that you are having have occurred in patients with lactic acidosis related to NRTIs or pancreatitis and your doctor should screen you for these conditions. I presume your doctor has already screened you for renal, liver and heart disease, all of which can cause some or all of the symptoms you mentioned. If all of this workup is negative, I would consider pursuing a further GI workup as your doctor is doing. Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Off of Hydroxyurea
Propecia and Cocktail Therapy