Is it the meds?

Can you please help me. I'm a 35 year old female,tested hiv pos.12 years ago.Just went on epivir,zerit,sustiva 9 months ago.First time on any meds.Have done really well until 3 months ago.Having swelling in hands,feet,stomach & lower back pain.i have already had a lot of test done so far everything checked out okay. Waiting for appoint with GI doctor next.Could it be the meds? My VL is below 25 and cd4 is 330.Help please.

Response from Dr. Boyle

The symptoms you describe are not commonly associated with the antiretrovirals you are on and the time course you describe indicates that this is unlikely to be an idiosyncratic reaction to them. Many things can cause the symptoms you are describing, and I'm not sure that the swelling and back pain are related. I agree with further work-up and if the swelling is severe or causing discomfort you might ask your doctor for some treatment to control it while the evaluation is in progress.

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Crix penis
Pot Belly