Skin Darkening

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1992. I currently have a t-cell count of 3 and viral load of 285,000. I am not currently on any anti-virals due to resistance problems. I have had lymphoma, CMV colitis, cardiomyopathy and a host of smaller problems. One problem is my skin. Ever since completing chemo approx 2 years ago I have dealt with a rash which has gradually spread. It has now spread to my back, chest, neck, arms & legs. Over the past few months I noticed that my skin color is turning darker in certain areas where the rash is. My HIV dermatologist says it is a result of advanced AIDS and basically not much can be done. What do you think is happening with my skin? It is very annoying and doesn't look good at all. It also gets itchy and I currently take doxepin to relieve the itching at night. I currently take the following meds: Ganciclovir, azithromicin, dapsone, digoxin, captopril, carnitor, procrit, testosterone, B-12, doxepin and Mycelex. I look forward to your response. Thank You.

Wow -- a challenging situation. I would at least think about iron overload or hormonal problems (such as adrenal insufficiency= low cortisol which can lead to high ACTH levels= increased pigmentation). Also maybe check your testosterone/DHEA levels and optimize your nutrition. Hopefully you will be able to get back on HIV drugs soon as well. Good luck. Keith Henry, M.D.

worried
Dose of fenofibrate