Dark Spots on Legs

Dear Doctor:

I was diagnosed with AIDS September, 1999. I had multiple problems at that time including KS on my right leg and groin area. I was started on medication, my T Cell has risen to 250 and my viral load is undetectable. For the large KS lesion I was given Panretin gel which worked and the others went away by themselves. Within the past 6 months the spot where my KS was on my right leg has turned a dark brown/purple color and there have been other spots like these that have appeared on my legs. My Doctor sent me to a Dermatologist who took biopsies and they were negative for KS and I was told to not worry about it. I just would like to know what they are and if there is any way to get rid of them? I am so embarrassed, especially living in FL where you want to wear shorts in the heat.

The negative biopsy is very reassuring for KS, however, occasionally with the institution of potent antiviral therapy, the immune system recognizes other skin lesions, and some may have been small KS lesions. This immune reaction can cause a similar appearance, though the cancer itself is gone. I would think that ongoing follow-up for the lesions with the dermatologist or your doctor would be prudent.

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Sustiva in patients w/ pre-existing psychiatric disease
NAUSEA