Hair Loss - Most Likely Culprit D4T or Sustiva

I know you may not really be able to answer this question - but here goes anyway.

I was previously on a comb including D4T & Sustiva - hair loss (scalp) within 3-4 wks of starting comb - achieved good results u/det rising CD4's

Had a long drug holiday - hair loss stopped straight away, and lost hair came back.

Started on new comb including D4T and Sustiva - hairloss (scalp) started again after 3 weeks.

My doctor agrees that hairloss is not due to my hiv status - and believes also it is due to either D4T or Sustiva - as these are the only common drugs on both occassions.

As apperance is of vital importance to me in my work as a model(male), upon the last visit (as my results are very good again)- my doctor has agreed - upon next visit that I will switch one of them. She told me she would look up what she can, and I said I would do the same - so any best guesses as to the most likely culprit - D4T or Sustiva?.

I know there are no gurantees, as a drug I may change to may cause hairloss - but I will have to try as my job depends on it.

Thank

JJ

Response from Dr. Boyle

The literature does not indicate that there is any association of d4T with hair loss. Sustiva has been associated with alopecia (hair loss) in some patients, but that is very uncommon. We use these medications frequently and have not run into a problem with hair loss in any patients. I think your only alternative is to try one, probably with d4T going first, and see what happens. Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

HAART tx precipitates Fibromyalgia flare-up
Anticort for the Treatment of HIV?!?!?! Your insight please.