LIPIDS AND NORVIR

I TAKE NORVIR AS PART OF THE COCKTAIL.MY LIPIDS ARE VERY HIGH SINCE I STARTED ON THIS MED (NORVIR).CAN YOU RECOMMEND AN ALTERNATIVE MEDICATION.I HAVE ALREADY TRIED,EXERCISING,LOW FAT DIETS AND MEDICATIONS FOR CHOLESTEROL AND TRIGLYCERIDES.

My reply to your question depends a lot on where your HIV disease is (I am assuming that you are taking Norvir with a second protease inhibitor); for example if you have a very low CD4 count and newly undetectable viral load, you might be better served by staying on your medications. Another approach might be to lower your Norvir dose, say to 100 mg (assuming that you're on a higher dose). There are some limited data that suggest that delavirdine (Rescriptor) may have a similar effect on the pharmacokinetics of other protease inhibitors. Unfortunately, these data are not complete, and leave some guessing to be done.

Most important, is the understanding that the long-term implications of elevated lipids needs to be balanced with the continual risk of having HIV disease progress. For most of my patients the risk of the later is greater than the former. -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Peptide T and PML
Drugs that counteract Sustiva side effects