Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

facial warts
Sep 1, 2000

Hello,

I have a question about some facial warts. Last summer I had some facial warts that I have never had before. It started from a small cut from shaving and it turned into a wart. I had it removed, then the next month I got a few more. I had those removed and at the same time was tested for HIV, for another issue. My test results came back positive. I now have another friend who has the same facial warts from shaving also, even in the same spot. Can these be signs that a person could be HIV positive? Can they be linked, because after I started my medication of Combivir and Sustiva, I have not gotten another wart. I still cut myself shaving, but no more warts. Can you please let me know if these can be connected some how?

Thanks

Dave

Response from Dr. Boyle

What you probably are describing is Molluscum contagiosum, a condition that is very common in HIV-infected patients with low CD4+ counts (<100). These lesions have a wart-like appearance, can occur anywhere (but seem to favor the face), and may number from a few to hundreds. There are many treatments, but they may resolve when the CD4+ count rises, just as yours have while on HAART. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Previous
weight training induced myalgia
Next
Peptide T and PML

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.