Sustiva: no peaceful/relaxing REM sleep - BY

Hello. I am newly diagnosed 2.8.00 cd4 104 vl 62,000. Started meds 2.22.00 sustiva, zerit, videx. vl almost undetectable now. Never missed a dose, I like my cocktail HOWEVER I believe Sustiva is the cause of my terrible nightmares. Since starting Sustiva I have not had one night of peaceful, deep sleep. One Dr. stated everyone needs at least 4 hrs of deep REM sleep and the sustiva could be causing the lack of deep 4th level REM sleep. I do not like these nightmares every night, they are terrible. My HIV Dr gave me samples of Sonato sleeping pills and my sleep was not restful. I also have RX from Dr for Temazepam and have only used 2 or 3 times but no real improvement on waking up rested. I sleep 7-8 hours and wake up tired and depressed. I do use 3-4 Tylenol PM at night but have been stopping as ringing in my ears occurs. I did use RX Codeine Cough Syrup for several weeks before bed (consumed approx 2 oz each night before bed) and that seemed to help but understand the codeine is addictive and I weaned myself off that. What can you suggest sir? Also I am slightly over weight and have not been exercising. I cant get motivated to work out. I have a healthy appetite however. Please help, I can't handle the nightmares much longer.

Congratulations on your excellent adherence; it is reflected in your low viral load. You certainly seem to have given a good try at most of the methods that I would recommend to combat the nightmares caused by Sustiva. As you suggest, exercise might help, so long as it isn't right before you go to bed; warm tea, relaxation techniques before bed seem to help a little too. Overall, I'm not convinced that any of these will offer you significant relief, and wonder about a possible switch from Sustiva to Viramune. Such switches can usually be done without too much risk, especially with a very low viral load. If the other tips don't help, you might consider a switch as an option. -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Small Skin Rash
anabolics/testosterone in early infection? - BY