Heart Disease and Newly HIV Positive - BY

What affects does HIV Medication have on the vascular system? Are there any Drs. that may be versed in both areas. I'm 48, thanks to my genes I have inherited a circulatory mess. To date I have had one Heart attack which led to a triple bypass in 1988, in 1989 Had angioplasty on my legs. In 1998 had 6 bypasses, and angioplasty on one leg in Jan and the other in July of 1999. We have not a clue as to where i got infected that's not your concern. My current Drs are the head of Cardiology at Sharp Memorial as is my heart surgeon with a world known group. But I NEED to find a group that can coordinate future Medications for the HIV and my vascular system. My Current numbers are in may 1999 CD4 was 790 currently 643 my HDL was 901 and now is 3051. THe only medication currently is Lipitor and aspirin. Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your question. Your situation is a challenging one, where we must balance the risk of your existing cardiac disease against the risk of progression of HIV disease. Clearly with a high CD4 count, your HIV risk is currently low, and some would argue to follow your immune function and viral load closely without the initiation of HIV therapies, some of which can raise your cholesterol levels significantly. Protease inhibitors, especially dual PIs (as well as efavirenz), can raise LDL and lower HDL cholesterol -- thereby increasing your risk of a heart attack. I would surmise that these drugs would be less favorable for you. Other potent combinations that avoid these drugs include nevirapine-containing therapies as well as triple nucleoside therapies. Unfortunately for you (though fortunate for most), is that HIV and cardiac disease don't occur commonly in the same person. Hence, few doctors are well versed in both. I would suggest a close collaboration between your cardiologist and your HIV physician (preferably one trained in both internal medicine and HIV). Best luck. -BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

Fat accumulation (NECK)
Peripheral Neuropathy of both feet