Seasonal Allergies and HIV

I am tested +ve in October 1998. But my major problem have been allergies leading to acute sinusitis. I have had this problem for long >10years. My ID Dr suggested that we should find a solution to the allergies coz it might be the coz of the sinus infections. I take claritin every day and Beconase spray. She told me never to stop this and to use it faithfully which I agree with. Ever since I started using this, the sinus headaches/congestions are gone. The only problem is the allergy symptoms keep coming back - itchy eyes and nose etc. I did a blood test - 'rast profile zone'(close to that name) and it showed that I am allergic to some kind of trees but ... Anyway do you have any advice for me on this problem -- Allergies and Hiv infections? How can I go about it? I am considering going to an allergist but the problem is if I am HIV positive how will I be treated? I need to be equipped with some information before I pursue this further. And is there a difference between the blood test and the skin test? Which one is more reliable/shows the big picture?

Please help me.

Patients with HIV often have exaggerated allergy response. Treatment and evaluation of allergic rhinitis in persons with HIV is not much different than in the general population. Sometimes cromylyn nasal spray will also help. A good allergist should be able to help you decide whether any type of desensitization procedure is worth the effort in your case. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Mastocytosis and HIV
Switch Epivir to? (part 2)