Restarting Abacavir after Drug Holiday

I plan to re-start my meds after a three-month drug holiday. I recently read some reports of trouble that some people had after going back on Abacavir (Ziagen) after drug holidays (aka structured treatment interruptions). It seems some of those people experienced allergic reactions when resuming Abacavir -- and a couple even died within the first day of resuming Abacavir. I understand the manufacturer of Abacavir surmises that those who experienced the allergic reactions on re-starting Abacavir had actually had mild allergic reactions to the drug when they took it initially. I experienced no such reaction when I first took Abacavir. I plan to ask my doctor about it before getting back on my meds, but I thought it would be nice to have your opinion as well as to the risks posed by re-starting Abacavir. I will be resuming my cocktail of Abacavir, Nelfinavir, DDI, and 3TC. I had been on Hydroxyurea also, but my doctor thinks I can try to go without it -- thinking that some of the more unpleasant side effects (which caused me to want the drug holiday in the first place) may have been due mostly to the hydroxyurea.

I would believe that you should be safe to restart the abacavir under those conditions as long as it is done carefully with rapid access to your doc if you have any problems suggestive of the abacavir hypersensitivity reaction. Good luck! KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Severe Neuropathy in both feet
abacavir-induced diabetes