Viracept vs. Sustiva

I have been on a medication regimen of Zerit, 3TC and Viracept for the last three years. This has been very successful (undetectable viral load). I was, though, having problems with diarrhea so my doctor advised me to switch from Viracept to Sustiva. My question to you is if I do start the Sustiva and do not do well on it, can I go back to Viracept without resistance?

In general, switches from one drug to another are considered safe if the switch are done after successful viral suppression. (I am assuming that you mean that not doing well on sustiva means not tolerating the drug (side effects) and not viral suppression.)

I also make the point with all of my patients to make sure that we have tried all possible methods to address your side effects before switching drugs. In your case, many different things seem to help with Viracept-induced diarrhea: the type of things that you eat with your pills, oat bran products (oat meal, muffins or pills); calcium carbonate (Tums); scheduled dose lomotil or Immodium. I give these a try before abandoning a successful therapy.

-BY

Benjamin Young, M.D., Ph.D.

False Drug Test?????!!!!!!!
Whats the deal with Sustiva?????