Extreme Drug Sensitivity

I'm a 37yr old, African American Female infected through my late husband. I have always been extremely sensitive to all medication, including over the counter medication's. I was put back on Med's two weeks ago after being off of them for 3yrs, with a CD4 of 700, VL 8000 steady during that time which dropped within the last 8 months to CD4 of 265, VL 10,000 and reacted very bad to them with, vomiting, chills, fever, shakes, muscle spasms and weakness. I was on combivir and ziagen. When I told my doctor this, he switched out the AZT for D4t. I only lasted a day on that and almost ended up in ER, I have always had a very strong immune system even with having HIV for 8yrs. Is there any way to find out, without having to keep taking different combinations of the med's, what my drug sensitivity is to them first?

That would be nice if we could do that without having to try them but if often is a trial and error process which is frustrating to patient and doc alike. Often it is worthwhile to find several drugs that you do get along with and then add a third -- that way it is easier to figure out which drug is the one causing you the problems. Good luck. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Sam-e
False Drug Test?????!!!!!!!