Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extreme Drug Sensitivity
Sep 18, 2000

Hi,

I'm a 37yr old, African American Female infected through my late husband. I have always been extremely sensitive to all medication, including over the counter medication's. I was put back on Med's two weeks ago after being off of them for 3yrs, with a CD4 of 700, VL 8000 steady during that time which dropped within the last 8 months to CD4 of 265, VL 10,000 and reacted very bad to them with, vomiting, chills, fever, shakes, muscle spasms and weakness. I was on combivir and ziagen. When I told my doctor this, he switched out the AZT for D4t. I only lasted a day on that and almost ended up in ER, I have always had a very strong immune system even with having HIV for 8yrs. Is there any way to find out, without having to keep taking different combinations of the med's, what my drug sensitivity is to them first?

Response from Dr. Henry

That would be nice if we could do that without having to try them but if often is a trial and error process which is frustrating to patient and doc alike. Often it is worthwhile to find several drugs that you do get along with and then add a third -- that way it is easier to figure out which drug is the one causing you the problems. Good luck. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Previous
Sam-e
Next
False Drug Test?????!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.