Watch out for Sustiva and Need help with Lactic Acid

I would like to advise anyone that has a history of psychiatric problems, PMS, and addictions that Sustiva can be a deadly aggravator;i.e. suicidal ideations, return to street drugs, severe depression and PMS. Please be careful even if you are on a med regimen for these conditions. It happened to me and it was not fun especially with a 14 mo old baby to care for and wanting to exterminate myself.

My other problem is that my previously elevated lactic acid levels are back to normal, but I am not after 2 - 3 months. Very sick to my stomach and nauseous and tired. I am not on HIV meds because of this overall unhealthy feeling. Drs will not put me back on a regimen til this is over. So when will it be over? I'd like to be able to function again and take advantage of another drug holiday. what's the latest? Thank you.

It often takes 40-50 days for the lactic acid levels to return to normal -- rarely up to 6 months. You might consider trying L-carnitine, N-acetyl cysteine, co-Enyzyme Q, and vitamins B1 and B2 (see Healing HIV by Jon Kaiser for doses). Good luck. KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

Unending diarrhea
Sam-e