Unending diarrhea

My friend has had diarrhea for the last nine months. He has lost about 60 of his 190 pounds. Hospitalized twice-J tube feedings and now 14 hours of TPN a day.Every antidiarrheal he has tried doesn't hold him - tincture of opium, mannitol, calcium, lomodium, lactose free, gluten/wheat free, and the list goes on. He has had all the GI work-ups, cultures, etc. I assume the HIV is in the lining of the mucosa. Aside from a cork -- do you have any other suggestions? It is a true quality of life issue, he is very depressed. I think if he could control the diarrhea, it would give him the strength to deal with all the other life changes he is faced with at this time.

I assume that there has been a thorough look for any infection or other condition that could be causing that (parasites, etc). I have had some luck with calcium supplements (600 mg BID) and oat bran or fibercon tablets (2 twice a day). I have also used Sandostatin injections in this setting with some success as well. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

KH

Keith Henry, M.D.

sores from medications?
Watch out for Sustiva and Need help with Lactic Acid