LIPODYSTROPHY and COSMETIC SURGERY

In a Sept. 6, 2000 response re: lipodystrophy you talked of cosmetic surgery as an option in dealing with facial wasting.

Could you suggest a resource to help me locate surgeons who deal with AIDS patients and facial wasting? I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you. Paul

Response from Dr. Boyle

Paul:

I would start by asking your doctor for his/her help. Perhaps he/she can refer you to a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist (a few of the latter are doing some cosmetic treatments for facial wasting). You can also call a plastic surgeon directly and ask if he/she can help. If that fails, talk to a local patient support organization (like GMHC) and see if they have any information/suggestions regarding locating a surgeon in your area or if they know of patients that have had procedures performed and the name of the doctor who performed them. There are several doctors in the NYC area that we refer patients to, and if your efforts are not successful and you're willing to come to NYC, let me know. BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Trying,but getting frustrated
drug to reverse testosterone side effects?