Trying,but getting frustrated

Diagnosed and began medication immediately 11 months ago. CD4s were 105 and viral load of 284,000.

Now I'm at 360 with undetectable viral load.

I suppose I should be happy but I'm always tired, much trouble with leg weakness, lipodystrophy, and other side effects.

I'm on Crixivan(3times daily), Videx and Epivir(both twice daily, and Septra on M.W.F. Others have told me this is a very potent regimen, but I am very strict and have only missed 4 doses in the 11 months.

Anything different that I should be doing. I'm a 49 year old male who resides most of the time in a "third world" country. I have my doctor in the U.S. and see him every three months. Am here now and will see him in two days.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I understand your frustration. Sometimes the treatment can seem worse than the disease. Given your low CD4 and high viral load at the time you started therapy, you probably need to remain on therapy since the significant progress you have made may be lost if you stop therapy. You should discuss your condition with your doctor and if the physical and laboratory evaluation do not reveal a correctable cause of your problem (including an evaluation of your lipids and thyroid), you should consider a change of therapy, perhaps to an NNRTI-based regimen (for example, efavirenz). BB

Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

ANEMIA
LIPODYSTROPHY and COSMETIC SURGERY