tinnitis, nausea & constipation

as unlikely as these three symptoms seem to be linked together, they are. i'm constipated to all hell because of the bad diet i cant get out of due to the nausea. to overcome the nausea, i have to smoke a little bit of pot, which will then elevate the tinnitis to an unbearable level. its a no win situation. if i am going to take pills, i have to have something in my stomach. to eat, i have to make sure i can get under the headphones or the tinnitis (after smoking pot) will make my head feel like exploding.

can marinol give me the same nausea-killer effect without exacerbating the tinnitis? presently, i'm on compazine/prochlorper, which doesn't work. my psychiatrist also suggested that i change my cocktail from combivir/viramune to crixivan/combivir/epivir to help relieve the nausea. what do you think?

thnx

Response from Dr. Boyle

The tinnitis and nausea can be linked and may be associated with an inner ear problem, medications, anxiety, depression or other problems. Your description of it is atypical, and your physician should evaluate these problems.

Some patients do get relief from nausea with marinol, but in some patients the nausea is worsened. There are many other treatments that can relieve nausea (eg, Kytril) and you should consider these as well. If nothing else works, a trial of marinol may be worthwhile. I would not change your antiretrovirals as your psychiatrist suggests: Crixivan is associated with GI upset including nausea (one of the main reasons patients stop it) and epivir is in the combivir tablet (a combination of AZT and 3TC) you are taking. Your HIV-specialist, not your psychiatrist, should evaluate your problems and advise you regarding any recommended antiretroviral treatment changes. Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

Sustiva Rash
hepatitis B -- yellow bundice