Sustiva Rash

I have been on Sustiva and Combivir for about a month, and I know that the rash is a possible side effect and that without seeing it you can't not really tell what it is or what I should do about it. Although it does itch and it somewhat raised in some areas, I feel so much better taking my meds, more than 1,000% better, that I am willing to put up with the minor itching that I feel. Is this a short sighted approach? Is there anything that I can just apply, or soak my chest ears and head in to lessen the itching. Or, should I just head to the Doctors and have them take a look-see?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The rash and itching may or may not be related to Sustiva or some other medication that you are taking. Your doctor should definitely have a look at it and decided on further evaluation or treatment. In my experience Sustiva, unlike abacavir or nevirapine, does not cause, in most cases, a major, progressive rash. Several of my patients with mild to moderate rashes/itching have done well with an anti-histamine (such as Benadryl, Atarax or Claritin) or, in a few cases, an oral steroid. Get your doctor's advice about this after he evaluates the rash. Brian Boyle, M.D., J.D.

severe hip joint pain and stiffness
tinnitis, nausea & constipation