Toxicity

I just started on combination therapy and was told that it might be associated with certain side effects. Luckily, I have not experiences any so far! However, I have notices that you sometimes mention the phrase "toxicities" in relation to HIV treatment regimes - are the drugs in fact toxic in the long run, or is it unknown? Could the long term side effects even be positive?

Each of the HIV drugs has the potential to cause side effects even after months on the drugs. Toxic is a harsh sounding word. Side effects such as rash, nausea, loose stools, skin/hair problems etc occur in some (a minority) people taking the drugs. The drugs can also cause lipid elevations, neuropathy, anemia and many other reactions that are more related to the word toxicity. Since most of the HIV drugs have only be in use for 5 years or less then we are still learning about the long-term side effects. In general the side effects are much less of a problem than AIDS. Certain side effects (such as very high cholesterol, pancreatitis, liver damage) can be a health threat to the patient but fortunately are not common. Weighing all the options and possibilities and making the best individual decision is the task of the patient teamed with his/her HIV specialists. Long-term (? 3 + years) patients have benefited from the HIV effects of the HIV drugs. Keith Henry, M.D.

Problems with Rosacea
possible herbal treatment of HIV infection