Problems with Rosacea

Since switching to Sustiva (along with Epivir and Zerit), I have gotten a rash from time to time on my body as well as a different kind of rash (the dermatologist said it's probably rosacea) on my face. I use Psorcon when the rash on my torso flairs up, and it seems to do the trick -- but the Metrocream I had prescribed for my face hasn't had any effect on the rash on my cheeks. Is there anything else that might be worthwhile in getting rid of my red face? Thanks very much for your help!

Tough question. The link to efavirenz is uncertain. Seborrheic dermatitis occurs in that area and might respond better to Nizoral cream. Rosacea has been linked to H pylori infection of the stomach with improvement with treatment of H pylori (that is a new and controversial linkage). If nothing pans out and the dermatologist has nothing else to offer, you might consider switching to another drug in the NNRTI class (Viramune or Rescriptor) to see what happens (assuming you don't have NNRTI resistance and the rest of your regimen is sound). Keith Henry, M.D.

Lipodystrophy, Syndrome X, and chromium deficiency
Toxicity