Alternatives to d4T to prevent facial wasting?

I was recently diagnosed with HIV, and am starting combination therapy. I am very concerned about facial wasting. d4T was mentioned as a part of the proposed combination therapy, but I know it is considered as a possible contributor to facial wasting and other body changes.

Is there evidence that an alternative to d4T, such as Didanosine, might provide less of a chance of facial wasting? Or is it pretty much the same percentage of people on Didanosine as on d4T who have it happen?

Thank you.

The direct role of D4T regarding facial wasting is still under study. There usually is not much of a problem for the first several years one is on therapy (even with D4T). If a problem develops early then one can switch off a drug(s) that could be linked and see what happens. I wouldn't avoid D4T if it is a good fit for your current situation depending on what other drugs you plan to go on, etc. D4T is often exchanged with AZT since they belong to the same class and should not be used together. They each of there pluses and minuses. Keith Henry, M.D.

Heat and Cold
Therapy and bad nails