Testosterone Acne

I have been receiving bi-weekly testosterone shots that have helped me immensely. I also used to have my back waxed. As a result of the two, I have acne from the hormone and ingrown hairs from the waxing, I assume. I have tried over the counter products with 10% Benzoyl peroxide, and have an Rx for topical Cleomycin. Nothing is working, in fact it's gotten worse. I no longer have my back waxed, but continue to get bi-weekly shots. I have heard that acne can be a side effect from them, have you heard of anything to remedy the situation, aside from stopping the therapy? Thank you for your time.

You might consider decreasing the dose modestly or switching to a more continuous dosing regimen (patches or gel) and then having your testosterone levels checked to see if you are in the mid-range of normal. A few patients have been helped by Retin-A like topical treatment.

Keith Henry, M.D.

Virtually no side effects, too good to be true?
Sustiva & Oxandrin