Recent severe elbow joint pain

Dear doctor, I hope you can help me. I am starting to have horrible pain in my right elbow going up to my shoulder and down to my wrist. Especially, as I am typing this minute. I am leaning my elbow on a pillow. After a recent geno-type my doctor put me on FORTOVASE. I have been of and on AIDS medications for 14 years. I am also currently on Zerit, Epivir and Kaletra. I am on Carbatrol and Neurontin from my Psychiatrist. I have been "cracking" my bones and knucles for years (probably arthritis) but never had much pain. I do take allopurinol dailey for a hereditary gout problem. My Infectious Disease doctor put me on Ultram for 6 mos. but took me off of it because he said it was bad for my liver. I had asked him to double the dose. He put me on Oxycontin last month and referred me to a Pain Managemnet Specialist. My lower back has also started hurting in the last 6 mos. but that is under control and I am careful about bending. At 51, I have had AIDS for probably 20 years and am just starting to have constant pain. I have dealt with all of the other common side affects. I do not abuse any of my medications and am no longer on Ultram. I am on the lowest dosage (20 mg twice a day) of Oxycontin and take it every 12 hrs. I am wondering if the Fortovase may be causing the problem in my elbow and muscle to ache. I don't want pain medication to cover up something that could be treated. Can you help me???

Response from Dr. Boyle

Unfortunately, you have many reasons for your elbow pain, and I doubt that the fortovase is causing it. This may be a gout flair, arthritis, tendonitis, lateral epicondylitis, or another cause. This should be evaluated by your doctor and, if appropriate, studies should be obtained to ascertain its cause.

Muscle twitching
swollen parodit glands