Milk thistle study show drug interaction .

I did search of milk thistle on thebody site and found. CATIE A WARNING ABOUT MILK THISTLE AND DRUG ITERACTIONS. June 12, 2001 says small amounts of milk thistle can slow CYP3A4 by 50 to 100. I have been takening for four years. How can I find out more about this study. thank you

There was an article published in the journal Drug Meta Dispos (in 2000; volume 11; pp 1270-3) from a German group looking at the effect of milk thistle in liver cells in a test tube. They found that mild thistle impaired cyp 3A activity. Theoretically, that could lead to higher levels of drugs metabolized by the cyp 3A system in the liver. I am unaware of any solid clinical data on that matter among HIV+ persons. If you are on some HIV drugs where that might be a concern, getting the levels checked (still tough to do in the US) would be the best way to check out any interaction as it might impact you. Milk thistle is in wide use but good data is generally lacking about its safety. KH

Over counter control for gas
what is milk thistle