Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Milk thistle study show drug interaction .
Sep 21, 2001

I did search of milk thistle on thebody site and found. CATIE A WARNING ABOUT MILK THISTLE AND DRUG ITERACTIONS. June 12, 2001 says small amounts of milk thistle can slow CYP3A4 by 50 to 100. I have been takening for four years. How can I find out more about this study. thank you

Response from Dr. Henry

There was an article published in the journal Drug Meta Dispos (in 2000; volume 11; pp 1270-3) from a German group looking at the effect of milk thistle in liver cells in a test tube. They found that mild thistle impaired cyp 3A activity. Theoretically, that could lead to higher levels of drugs metabolized by the cyp 3A system in the liver. I am unaware of any solid clinical data on that matter among HIV+ persons. If you are on some HIV drugs where that might be a concern, getting the levels checked (still tough to do in the US) would be the best way to check out any interaction as it might impact you. Milk thistle is in wide use but good data is generally lacking about its safety. KH

Previous
Over counter control for gas
Next
what is milk thistle

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.